Chef Julie Frans shares her recipe for one of Essensia’s most popular summer dishes, Watermelon Gazpacho. It’s all about keeping it cool and easy in the hot summer sun.
Java Super Lump Crab, Avocado, Garden Basil, Toasted Pepitas
Makes approximately 2 liters
• 1/3 watermelon, cut in large cubes
• 2 green bell peppers, seeded and rough chopped
• 1 cucumber, seeded and rough chopped
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1/2 red onion
• 1/2 dozen green onions, tops and bottoms trimmed
• 1-2 serrano chiles or jalapenos (with seeds)
• 3/4 c olive oil
• 3/4 c white balsamic
• Leaves from about 6 stalks of garden basil
• Leaves from about 6 stalks of mint
• Salt and ground pepper to taste
Run ingredients listed above through blender in batches and blend until mostly smooth. Season gazpacho to taste when finished.
In a martini glass, assemble in layers the following ingredients:
• Spoonful diced avocado in lemon juice
• 4-5 small cubes watermelon
• ¼ oz java crab
• 1 T (or less) toasted pepitas
• Generous pinch lemon basil
• Maldon Salt
Cover ingredients with gazpacho and serve.
Essensia Restaurant follows a farm-to-table philosophy, offering a seasonal selection of wholesome global cuisine with emphasis on premium local and sustainable ingredients. We work with local farmers and carefully selected purveyors to bring to you healthful and flavorful dishes made with locally sourced produce, meats and seafood, wherever possible.
We take great pride in being a conscious restaurant and place a genuine focus on the quality and purity of the ingredients utilized on each and every plate. We care about you, our community, and our environment.
YOUR ESSENSIA TEAM
SIGNATURE CHEF/CULINARY CONCEPT Julie Frans
EXECUTIVE OPERATIONS CHEF Jaime Magana
EXECUTIVE PASTRY CHEF Christopher Jennings