As South Florida heats up, Essensia cools down with summer soups, salads, and healthy options for diners. Summer specialties are set to debut in mid-late May! Want to try this out at home with your loved ones? Here’s how Chef Julie does it!
Watermelon Gazpacho with Java Super Lump Crab, Avocado, Garden Basil and Toasted Pepitas by Signature Chef Julie Frans
Makes approximately 2 liters
• 1/3 watermelon, cut in large cubes
• 2 green bell peppers, seeded and rough chopped
• 1 cucumber, seeded and rough chopped
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1/2 red onion
• 1/2 dozen green onions, tops and bottoms trimmed
• 1-2 serrano chiles or jalapenos (with seeds)
• 3/4 c olive oil
• 3/4 c white balsamic
• Leaves from about 6 stalks of garden basil
• Leaves from about 6 stalks of mint
• Salt and ground pepper to taste
Run ingredients listed above through blender in batches and blend until mostly smooth. Season gazpacho to taste when finished.
Pour the gazpacho into individual bowls and top with layers the following ingredients:
• Spoonful diced avocado in lemon juice
• 4-5 small cubes watermelon
• ¼ oz java crab
• 1 T (or less) toasted pepitas
• Generous pinch lemon basil
• Maldon Salt
Ready to serve!
Essensia Restaurant follows a farm-to-table philosophy, offering a seasonal selection of wholesome global cuisine with emphasis on premium local and sustainable ingredients. Working with local farmers and carefully selected purveyors, Essensia’s menu features healthful and flavorful dishes made with produce, meats and seafood primarily sourced from within the State of Florida. Essensia’s exclusive wine list is committed to being sustainable, organic or biodynamic and has been selected for sharing Essensia’s mission to be good for you and the environment. For restaurant reservations, please call 305.908.5458 or visit www.essensiarestaurant.com.